The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Ideas for Galentines

Ideas for Galentines

Valentines’ Day is one of the world’s least favorite holidays. Valentine’s Day is a day to celebrate with your significant other and honors the Roman saint, St. Valentine. People don’t usually like Valentine’s Day because they don’t have anyone to spend the day with. However, Valentine’s Day isn’t exclusive to just couples, people who aren’t in relationships can celebrate the holiday in their own fun and festive way!

1. Watch Rom-Com’s

Romantic comedy movies are a staple any day of the week, especially on Valentine’s Day. Romantic comedy movies provide a cheesy love story for viewers and make watching them a great experience with friends. Certain rom-com’s are quoted timeless and iconic films and will add some comedy to your valentines! Examples of romantic comedies are How To Lose A Guy In 10 Days, Clueless, Legally Blonde, Ten Things I Hate About You, and 13 Going On 30.

2. Bake Treats With Your Friends

The basic gift that people usually receive on Valentines is flowers, a teddy bear, and most importantly, chocolate. Chocolate is a staple of every Valentines’ Day and a gift idea that never gets old. Using chocolate to make sweet desserts with your friends can add sweetness to a seemingly bitter day or allow for bonding between friends. Baking is a fun activity that always provides smiles to everyone involved, and you can even be creative by adding colors to make the theme of Valentines like pink, red, and white M&M’s or sprinkles. Baking has no restrictions or limits and you can take the task in any direction you want in order to celebrate the day the way you want.

3. Have a sleepover with your friends

On a day like Valentines’ Day, it’s easy to get bummed out. Being surrounded by the ones you love can lift your spirits and make you feel better about the day as a whole. Having a sleepover where the entire day is dedicated to having fun with your friends is an easy and exciting way to have your own twist on the holiday. At a sleepover, you can do so many things. You can play board games, you can bake, you can go shopping, etc.

4. Self-care

Valentine’s Day is all about spending time and appreciating your significant other, however, if you don’t have a partner, you can spend the day appreciating yourself. Do whatever you have been wanting to do as a treat for yourself. Investing time in yourself to work on or to give yourself a break makes the holiday less lonely. Even something as simple as getting a manicure or massage may brighten up your Valentines’ Day. If you have been wanting to spend more time with friends, make a plan to do something with friends. If you want to go shopping, go shopping. Spend Valentine’s Day catering to your own needs and what you have been wanting to do but never got around to doing it.

No matter if you have someone to spend the day with or not, Valentines’ Day is not a sad reminder or an unfortunate day. Valentines’ Day is a day about expressing your love and affection whether it be yourself, your friends, or anyone else. Valentines’ Day can be spent in ways that go beyond this list and there will continue to be more special and unique ways to celebrate Valentines’ Day. Remember to make time for your own personal enjoyment because at the end of the day, it is still a holiday!