The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Romcom 101

Romcom+101

Now that Valentine’s Day is almost here, that means it’s time to start watching or rewatching your favorite rom-coms. Single or not, romance movies have always been a part of everyone’s life at some point, so we all know you can’t live without them when this time of year comes around.  I’ve compiled a list of classics, some old and some new, which could be binge worthy for all audiences. 

#1 To All the Boys (I’ve Loved Before? – unsure if this part is included) :

To All the Boys has been my all-time favorite since I was in middle school, so I am biased. I believe it is the perfect feel good rom-com. It focuses on the main character, Laura Jean, who is a romance genius except when it comes to her own life. As we get to go on this journey with her, she discovers what it’s like to be with her fake boyfriend Peter.This movie trilogy is based off of the books written by Jenny Han. 

—

#2 Set it Up:

Set it Up is about two assistants trying to “parent trap” their bosses into love. What they didn’t realize was that while helping each other, they were falling in love the whole time. This movie has the “grumpy x sunshine” trope that we all know and love, plus the workplace romance. This movie is super funny and cute, and I guarantee if you love rom-coms it will quickly become one of your favorites. 

—

#3 10 Things I Hate About You:

If you haven’t seen this movie I truly believe you are living under a rock. 10 Things I Hate About You is the model of 90’s rom-coms. It is the story of Kat who really didn’t care about dating, but life and her little sister’s crush had other plans. Then there was Patrick, who was also a hater of love as Kat, but maybe not as much as he thought. If the plot hasn’t convinced you, maybe the cliche scenario of enemies to lovers will. 

—

#4 A Walk to Remember:

When watching A Walk to Remember, make sure you have your tissues ready and near. In this movie, our bad boy Landon gets himself into some trouble and has to do community service. Then there is Jamie, the ever so loving church girl who also happens to be a bookworm. Landon seeks out her help for his community service, but ends up falling in love. The two of them tried to make it work, but God clearly had other plans.

#5 How To Lose a Guy in 10 Days

If there’s anything we know about this movie, it’s Kate Hudson’s iconic yellow dress. But that’s not the only beautiful thing about this film. In this movie, Ben is our amazing ladies man and Andie is the playboy in the girl version. Both of them are trying to manipulate love in two very different ways for the sake of work. Little did they know that only one of their manipulations would work and they’d both have to face the consequences. 

#6 Crazy Rich Asians

Even though this movie is relatively new, I believe it will forever be a classic. This movie is just love in every way. Rachel thinks she is going home to meet her boyfriend’s family and everything is ordinary. Little did she know that his family was super rich and well known. While this should be no problem, his family makes it one and now she must find out if their love is worth the trouble. This movie follows the evil mother and forbidden romance trope.  

#7 She’s Theman

She’s the Man is the love of my life. This movie embodies every stereotype a person can imagine for teenage girls. With a slow burning trope, our two main characters get along despite all the chaos going on. Viola goes undercover as her brother in order to play soccer, but she ends up falling for her fake roommate Duke. Meanwhile Duke is focused on soccer, but also tries to get coached by his “roommate” in the dating department.