The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

If You’re a Junior, Here’s What You Should Do in 2024!

With one month already done in the new year, it is important to start planning ahead for our futures, especially if you’re a current junior. There are many of things to be on the lookout for this year, many of which will determine your college success. Here are a few things you can expect and start thinking about in 2024!

1. SATs

This year it is expected for us juniors to take the SAT. This is a nationwide test that measures your reading, writing, and math skills. The score will be sent to the colleges you apply to. The dates for the SAT are currently March 9, May 4, and June 1. You can register at https://satsuite.collegeboard.org/sat/dates-deadlines. You are able to take the test more than once, so check for future dates if you plan on doing so.

2. Summer Ideas

To help improve your applications and overall self, there are things you can do over the summer to help! Examples include finding a summer program, internship, or job. These will help you stand out to colleges when you apply at the start of senior year. But, don’t forget to still have fun this summer!

3. Research Schools and Majors

It is important to begin narrowing down the schools you want to attend and the majors you want to study. If you are having trouble doing so, think about the location, size, and environment you’d want in a school. Then check if they have a good program for the major you are interested in. As for the major, think about what excites you and what you’d enjoy learning more about. On Naviance, there are a variety of quizzes you can take to match you to a career and school!

4. Draft Your Essay

When senior year begins, so do college applications. Therefore, over the summer you should start drafting your college application essay. You can find some tips on the McClancy website at https://msgrmcclancy.org/academics/college-guidance/. The prompts on the Common App applications in the 2023-24 school year can be find at https://appsupport.commonapp.org/applicantsupport/s/article/What-are-the-2023-24-Common-App-essay-prompts. Use these sources to help you come up with ideas! Remember to keep the essay authentic and exemplify who you are as a person.

5. Senior Year/College Applications

Depending on what decision you want to receive from a school, your deadline for college applications will vary. Typically, early decision and early action are due early to mid November. Regular decisions are due early January to mid February. Get ready to start applying! Your future is beginning!

Written by: Sophia Megahed Villeda