The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Ms. Smith; A Step Forward in the Knowledge of Sepsis

Ms. Smith’s workbook.

At the beginning of this month, our very own Ms. Smith had an article published in WNBC written by 2016 alumni Nataly Lado. The article discusses Ms. Smith’s involvement in the implementation of sepsis disease learning in schools. When Rory Staunton, a twelve-year-old boy died from undiagnosed sepsis, Ms. Smith took it upon herself to research the somewhat unknown disease and gain awareness of the dangers. A year later in 2013, she wrote her book entitled “Infection, Detection and the Immune System: Project Sepsis” which helps kids become educated on the causes and effects of sepsis disease.

Today, a lesson on sepsis disease is taught in schools for children in grades K-12, all thanks to Ms. Smith’s dedication to learning about the once mysterious disease. 

A video attached to the article shows Ms. Smith’s freshman students doing their sepsis labs using her novel. The link to the WNBC article is linked below.

https://www.nbcnewyork.com/news/local/nyc-teacher-is-on-a-mission-to-raise-awareness-of-life-threatening-condition/4780681/