The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Meals Suited for a Crusader!

Edith Felipe

Last year, McClancy sadly experienced the loss of one of our beloved faculty members, Joanne, who provided food and beverages for hundreds of kids at McClancy for over 20 years. Joanne fought a long battle with cancer, may God grant her grace and mercy.

However, this loss left the school with many questions; what would happen to our lunch and who would serve it? That is where Corato’s Pizza comes in. After seeing some advertising, Mr.Melito gave them a call and ever since then, it’s been a smooth transition.

After speaking with Marco, the manager of Corato’s here at McClancy, it’s good to know the people who supply us with lunch everyday. Even the staff are purchasing the food and singing its praise. Corato’s first began as a family-run chain. It isn’t exactly known when or who started it, but Corato’s has been around for over 20 years and originated in Ridgewood, Queens out of pizzerias and restaurants. With its exclusive name and branch, any Corato’s you see outside of the school is run and associated with the Corato’s here within McClancy. It is so connected with family roots, that even their pizza has a special recipe that’s around 65 years old!

Prior to McClancy, Corato’s did catering and services at Holy Cross High School, so they have experience under their belt with catering for high schools. In just the first cycle, Corato’s has demonstrated impressive organization skills and staffing, with Marco showing how everyone has their own assigned duty and if any questions arise, he is the one who deals with them.

The atmosphere Corato’s provides is comfortable and welcoming, to ensure the students and staff get the best food and experience. They observe the reactions and comments of, primarily, the students to know what to add and what to scrap or change. Marco describes the sight of providing food and seeing reactions as “a great feeling” showing that although they are new to McClancy, Corato’s are already a part of our McClancy family.

One concern students have expressed is easier payment options. Last year, students were able to pay with their student ID cards which was a great convenience. Marco stated that hopefully, they can roll them out within a month with wishful thinking. So, although it may be a while until the school can digitally pay for food, the whole school can agree that the food we’re being given is both delicious and savory!