The Walk-A-Thon is the Best Event of the School Year

Zoe Attard Portelli, McClancy News Editor

The Walk-A-Thon is a Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School tradition, dating back to 2001.  For over two decades the main purpose of the walkathon, in the words of Mr. Civitano, is “School Spirit and to have fun.”  Mr. Civitano has coordinated the Walk-A-Thon since 2016, administering an increasingly enjoyable McClancy event with each passing year. Last year the chip city cookie truck was added to this school tradition, which is highly popular with students.  However, the Walk-A-Thon is not only a fun event for students but a fundraiser for school improvements.  The proceeds from this year’s Walk-A-Thon, the Jim Michelini Walk-A-Thon 2022, will be attributed to further updates in the Squeri Center. These updates include an ice cream machine and modernized machines that accept apple pay or cards. In addition, more of the proceeds will be directed toward new chairs and tables in the cafeteria.  This event is a fun day for students and a way to improve the school, making it, quite literally, a win-win situation.  The beneficial outcomes don’t end there though, because students are also able to win prizes. The top twenty donations by students in each grade level can receive free dress-down passes on Fridays, and the grand prize is a tuition reduction.  McClancy’s upperclassmen also have a chance to win a parking spot. Therefore McClancy’s Jim Michelini Walk-A-Thon is purely beneficial, contributing to school improvements and a good time for students.