The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

The Significance of Ascension Thursday

One of the very few days off we have left in the school year is Ascension Thursday, but not that many people actually pay attention to its significance and where it came from. It actually has had a long history leading up to its place as a school holiday today.

Ascension Day, also sometimes known as the Feast of the Ascension, celebrates when Jesus ascended into heaven, and this year it is on May 9 and is a holy day of obligation. The dates vary from year to year as it is always the 4th Thursday after Easter and not on a fixed date.  It marks a day of importance because it was the 40 days after Jesus rose from the dead on Easter Sunday, and according to the Bible (Acts 1:3) he ascended into heaven after walking on the Earth again. Interestingly, forty days has been mentioned in the bible several times and is one of the most repeating numbers in the Bible such as the length of time that it rained during the Flood in Noah’s time and the amount of time Moses spent with God on Mount Sinai. Ascension Day also celebrates Jesus Christ’s exaltation, because he rose to heaven in divine glory as a representative of humanity seated next to God the Father. Jesus ascended back to heaven after bringing his apostles to the Mount of Olives, and this day also marks the end of the full Easter season. It symbolizes Jesus’s Christ victory over death and promises salvation for those who trust in him. As he ascends into the clouds, he promises to return the same way, to judge the living and the dead. It is important because after he ascends, two angels come down and state “Men of Galilee,” they said, “why do you stand here looking into the sky? This same Jesus, who has been taken from you into heaven, will come back in the same way you have seen him go into heaven.” (Acts 1:11) which gives us the promise that one day he will come again in glory to judge the living and the dead which is also one of our key beliefs mentioned in the Nicene Creed. The Ascension fulfills the Paschal Mystery (Jesus’s suffering, death, resurrection, and ascension) and is the final step before the pouring out of his Spirit, also known as Pentecost which occurs 10 days later. It shows Jesus has accomplished his gift of salvation and allows us to get into heaven. Its significance marks the day Christ has completed his salvation, promised us that he will come back again in glory, and promised to send the Holy Spirit down upon us in his place to empower us to spread the Gospel and evangelize. 

Sources:

Ascension Day: Description: Religious Holidays and Observances: Cultural Involvement: Office of the Vice President for Diversity, Equity & Inclusion: Indiana University (iu.edu)

What Is Ascension Day? Meaning & Why Christians Celebrate It (christianity.com)