The Sentinel

The Student News Site of Monsignor McClancy Memorial High School

The Sentinel

The Sentinel

Medication Distribution in Schools: Balancing Safety and Support

The question surrounding the use of medications by school nurses has had many arguments within schools. People argue that allowing access to medications through school nurses is essential for ensuring the well-being of students facing medical conditions like asthma or severe allergies. People also say that this measure promotes safety during school hours and enables students to manage their health effectively.

Parts of this argument also emphasize the knowledge of school nurses in giving medications safely and handling medical emergencies (Or even if a student doesn’t feel good). They say that entrusting this responsibility to trained professionals shows risks associated with self-medication among students.

In addition, people who are against the use of medications being given to students raise concerns regarding the potential misuse of medications by students, who might use the medications in a bad way. The challenge of managing various medications and ensuring their proper storage and administration also goes for large schools. Furthermore, the possibility of legal consequences arising from medication-related incidents complicates the discussion even further.

Beyond logistical and legal considerations, critics argue against the overreliance on medications for behavioral or mood-related issues. They argue that prioritizing medicine in school may neglect students’ well-being. 

Ultimately, both sides of the argument offer different views, highlighting the need to balance a student’s health and maintaining safety protocols. As people still argue on this issue, it remains undecided whether students should be allowed to receive medication or not. All in all, students being exposed to medicine can lead to both positive and negative impacts based on the way it is viewed. Or, students can just bring their own medicine to school.